Bishop Maidstone and the dedications

Epus Maydeston

Bishop Maidstone and a prior discuss the accounts during a visitation
Bishop Maidstone and a prior discuss the accounts during a visitation

In 1315, the counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire all fell under the care of the Bishop of Worcester, Walter Maidstone, a colourful and powerful character.

By the fourteenth century, many churches lacked the official confirmation of their status and mass was, in effect, being celebrated without permission.  Bishop Maidstone spent five months touring his diocese and carrying out dedication services.

Using the magnificent Samson Pontifical, an annotated version of the dedication liturgy has been produced especially for Dedication 1315 by the Revd Tom Merry with the kind permission of the Master and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge who retain the copyright. If you would like to reproduce any of the images, please contact the Parker Library at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. (Please note that this is a Powerpoint file, and it takes a few moments to load.)

Learn more about why Bishop Maidstone embarked on this programme of dedications.